• Illinois Precision wanted to increase its market share by expanding into other industries, especially medical products
• Standardizing the control application of its medical press machines was a primary objective for the company
• Illinois Precision wanted to offer its OEM customers improved operations and streamlined manufacturing processes
• The company needed to identify technology that could provide more precise process control
• The competitive marketplace demanded an expansion of company leadership in the medical molding market space
• Transitioning from an open-loop process to a closed-loop process required a technology that could provide a more precise and repeatable process for medical injection-molding applications
• The Eurotherm MACO Compact control system integrates more precise control of injection molding processes for the medical industry.
• Illinois Precision has made the Eurotherm MACO Compact standard for all brands of its presses.
• The company’s presses can better meet environmental requirements because the Eurotherm MACO Compact provides a more precise material processing application reducing scrap and improving overall operating efficiency.
Critical Medical Manufacturing Processes Expand IPC Market Reach
With a strong business commitment to improving and expanding its line of injection-molding equipment for the medical industry, Illinois Precision recognized the need for its presses to continuously perform at peak levels. IPC selected the Eurotherm MACO Compact to provide more precise machine control functions.
The Eurotherm MACO Compact supports the precise manufacturing requirements demanded by the medical field. Some of the medical products manufactured via the injection-molding process include oxygen masks and airway management systems, tracheal and feeding tubes, catheters, IV systems and blood collection sets, as well as infusion, flushing and drainage kits.
The process of injection molding for medical product manufacturing requires specialized tooling in the form of an injection mold and an injection-molding press. The process melts plastic in a heated cylinder which is then injected into the mold to form specific parts or components. This process may involve many variables which can affect the finished product. Therefore, the machinery must maintain precise calibrations in order to produce products that meet the stringent medical industry manufacturing requirements for quality and consistency.
Its operator interface is designed to support maximum flexibility enabling IPC to run the system using its preferred interface design. The MACO Compact control system offers several keyboard options, from touchscreen to full numeric keypad functionality, with a display that supports in-depth process data trending, custom machine graphics, text displays, alarm messages and control standards charts. These features and benefits make the MACO Compact control system a reliable, cost-effective solution for any injection-molding operation.
Eurotherm MACO Compact Control System Offers More Precise Shot Control
Illinois Precision’s new Echo MD Press with the Eurotherm MACO Compact control system features a new servo-electric rotary table that can pivot 90 degrees in one second. The servo-electric rotary table enables operators to have more control of the injection process.
Because process reliability is critical in medical injection molding, these new tables provide smoother movements and braking to ensure faster and more accurate production of injectionmolded plastics items. With the Eurotherm MACO Compact, IPC is able to achieve a more precise shot control during the injection process, ensuring reproducible product specifications.
With the implementation of the Eurotherm MACO Compact control system, Illinois Precision is positioned to successfully increase its market share in the medical injection-molding industry segment. By standardizing the control application of its medical press machines on Invensys technology, IPC has achieved a milestone in the design and functionality of its injection-molding machinery. IPC can now offer its OEM customers improved manufacturing operations and standardized processes, with greater precision, efficiency and repeatability.
Download print version here